Director of Sales at Inn of Sedona
1200 West Highway 89A
Sedona, Arizona 86336
Mission of the Role: Develop and implement successful marketing and sales solicitation activities to secure new business from specified market segments. Maintain existing business clientele relationships, ensuring maximum profitability for the hotel and quality service for our guests.
Supervises: Sales Coordinator
Qualifications: Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and /or abilities. To perform this job successfully, the employee will possess the abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently, with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Hotel Management or related area of study required.
- Proficiency in Windows environment, Word, and Excel as well as Delphi
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as a Sales Manager with a proven track record of success
- Excellent communicator with strong written and verbal communication skills
- Track record of developing long term relationships and contacts
- Ability to quickly evaluate alternatives and decide on a plan of action
- Organizational skills including follow up, time management, ability to multi-task and manage multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Skills for problem-solving, analysis and effective decision-making
- Skills for negotiation and interpretation of contracts
- Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization
- Ability to comprehend and use technical or professional language, either written or spoken, to communicate complex ideas
- Ability to forecast sales and interpret/analyze results to plan; conduct budgetary analysis
- Extensive knowledge of sales skills, revenue management, recruitment, supervision, training and motivation of managers
- Knowledge of travel industry, current market trends and economic factors.
- Proficiency in development and delivery of sales presentations.
- Ability to deal with internal and external customers and staff, collect accurate information and to resolve conflicts.
- Ability to communicate in Spanish is beneficial
Essential Job Functions:
- Creates and manages Annual Strategic Plan
- Achieves or exceeds individual and team sales goals
- Manages lead sources to ensure quantity and quality of leads
- Adhere to the strategic plan by booking profitable business based on need times; including but not limited to prospecting, telemarketing, outside sales calls, site inspections, and presentations.
- Comply with company sales reporting standards, company sales office and system standards.
- Conduct superior negotiating skills in a professional, business-like manner.
- Develop and execute sales action plans to close on targeted accounts and or business within a market segment.
- Seeks new customers, through strategic outbound sales effort, in order to secure group, catering, and transient room revenue
- Monitors sales activities/performance to ensure revenue goals meet or exceed established plan and accurately reports variances/projections to management
- Weighs the value of each piece of business against hotel’s financial objectives
- Uses Revenue Management resources to help make informed decisions and maximize revenue
- Analyzes trends and patterns in relation to pricing and adjusts strategy as appropriate
- Actively participates and owns daily Revmax process and sales strategy meeting
- Analyzes and studies the competition to help maintain competitiveness
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with peers, competitors and brand partners
- Adjusts strategy based on competitive market and market segment knowledge
- Ensures that property has maximized use of all company, brand and local CVB programs
- Monitor group arrival/departure patterns, rate, room blocks, public space allocation, and special negotiations.
- Recruits the best possible sales team and reduces turnover through coaching, counseling and training
- Make presentations at sales meetings on accounts closed, the hotel’s competitive performance and any meaningful supply or demand changes in the market.
- Note and follow-up on outstanding receivables for groups.
- Update management on market fluctuations and competitive changes in product ownership or strategies. Recommend shifts in sales action plans in response to these fluctuations or changes.
- Maintain positive relations and high visibility in relative business organizations such as HSMAI, CVB, Chamber of Commerce, and local hotel/motel associations.
- Maintain realistic working relationships with competitive sales representatives to ensure referrals and co-op bidding.
Internal: Front Desk Hosts, Front Office Manager, Food & Beverage Manager, Catering, Housekeeping, Restaurant (if applicable), Accounting, and Maintenance.
External: Hotel guests/visitors, main accounts, competitive hotels
Essential Physical Abilities:
- Able to remain in a stationary position to 50% of the time.
- Able to operate a computer, printer, and other office machinery.
- Able to travel to visit clients at other locations.
- Able to conduct site visits (property tours) for visitors and potential clients.
- Able to clearly communicate by telephone.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.